Tuesday, February 1, 2011

{February, Fruit, and More...}

Wow!! I can’t believe that it is February already!!! I’ve been here for three weeks, and I only have about 2 ½ months left here!
Well, yesterday morning baby J arrived and he is SO adorable!!! He weighed 9 lbs!! I’ll have to show you pictures soon. I haven’t taken any of him yet, but I will in the next few days or so.
So, I have a few pictures that I've taken in the past couple weeks. Since I mentioned it in my first post, I'm sure everyone is probably wondering...what is jackfruit?! Well, here's a picture of jackfruit!

If you would like to learn more about the jackfruit (otherwise known as breadfruit) click on this link. http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/jackfruit.html
Also, the family has many pineapple plants (about 150!) some of which are very close to being ready to pick!
See the little shoots coming out on the side of the pineapple? When the pineapple is picked, you cut these off and plant them to grow a new pineapple plant! This is one that still has a while.
Here are some tree tomatoes that we had with breakfast the other day.
They are delicious!! D loves them!
Oh yes, and here's a picture of banana trees.
They grow EVERYWHERE!! The bananas that grow on these trees are about 3 inches long. Here is a picture of a bunch of bananas that came off of one of their trees!!
They are so yummy!!!! (oh, and another random fact...there are at least 5 different kinds of bananas here: gonja, plantain (or matooke), indizi (the three inch ones), bagoya, and fia!)
As I mentioned before, we cook almost everything from scratch here...so if you want to have tacos, you have to make the salsa, the guacamole, shred the cheese, AND make the tortillas! So I now know how to make tortillas. :D We also have to make the pizza from scratch...no running to the store for frozen pizzas or to Little Caesars. That means make the dough, the sauce, etc. Here's a picture of one of the pizzas I made the other night. Here's when it was ready to go into the oven...
  
...and here’s when it came out!!


Well folks, that's all for now. Soon I'll post some pictures of the baby, and some more fruit and more of the kids as well.
Thank you so much for praying!!
I appreciate it so much!
Blessings!!
~Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment